University of Michigan experts are available to discuss school shootings and the community aftermath in the wake of the shootings at Robb Elementary School in Texas (May 25, 2022).
Learn more about resources and find contact information here.
- William Lopez is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education. He can discuss issues of race as it relates to mass shootings.
- Joanna Quigley is a child psychiatrist at Michigan Medicine, U-M’s academic medical center, and an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry. She offers advice for parents and educators in understanding how children and teens might react to and process the news from Texas, and how they can support young people in their lives this week and beyond.
- Justin Heinze is an Assistant Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education. He is currently the lead evaluator for two National Institute of Justice-funded interventions focused on school safety and violence prevention and the lead investigator of an NIJ-funded study of an anonymous reporting system designed for the early identification of threats in a school community.
- Marc Zimmerman is Co-Director of the Institute for Firearm Injury Prevention, Co-Principal Investigator of the National Center for School Safety, the Marshall H. Becker Collegiate Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education at the School of Public Health, and a professor of psychology at the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.
- Patrick Carter is Co-Director of the Institute for Firearm Injury Prevention, an Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at the Medical School, and an Associate Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education at the School of Public Health. Dr. Carter’s research focuses on firearm injury prevention across the spectrum of research, from understanding the epidemiology of the problem to prevention-focused solutions for at-risk individuals and communities. Watch video.
- Jason Goldstick is a member of the Institute for Firearm Injury Prevention, a Research Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at the Medical School, and the Director of the Statistics and Methods section of the Injury Prevention Center. Goldstick specializes in spatial and longitudinal data analysis and predictive analytics.
- Javed Ali, Associate Professor of Practice at the Ford School of Public Policy, is a former senior U.S. government counterterrorism official.
- Jonathan Hanson is a political scientist and lecturer in statistics at the Ford School of Public Policy.
- Sandra Graham-Bermann is a psychology professor who specializes in traumatic stress reactions to children exposed to violence.